Sick and tired of those annoying Russian spam emails, endless guest post opportunities and scams that come through your websites contact form?
All of our Website Design's and Website Care Plan's come standard with Google reCaptcha's installed on contact forms, but sometimes this isn't enough or perhaps you don't want to burden your legitimate customers.
Here is a way to block certain words from forms, in the backend of your Wordpress website to get back your valuable time for more important tasks!
1. First login to the backend of your Wordpress site.
2. Then navigate to Settings -> Discussion -> Disallowed Comment Keys
3. Then add common spam words found in those types of emails, but not often used words by customers to block the form submissions.
4. Remember to save your changes at the bottom of the page. Now your blog comments and WooCommerce store products are protected from spam.
5. To link the blocked words list to your Gravity forms we will need to install the following two plugins Gravity Perks and GP Blocklist, if they are not already.
Both of which are available free on our Website Care Plans, where we setup the plugins and blocklists.
6. Then finally we need to go to Gravity Forms and select each individual form where the spam is occurring (usually the contact us page form) then we click the settings button for that form and check the following option. Don't forget to press the Update Form Settings button at the bottom to save your changes.
Settings > Blocklist > Validate against WordPress Disallowed Comment Keys
Here is our list of common red flag words that can block spam submissions to get you started, just copy and paste:
Gravity forms is our primary form plugin you can read their article on spam prevention below, for more ideas to protect your forms from spam and unsolicited messages.
Last updated: 15 July 2021